The Old Schoolhouse, built c. 1840, was Cutchogue’s first district school building and continued to serve local students until 1903. It was then moved to a nearby farm where it served for many years as a tenants’ dwelling. Later donated to the Historical Council, it was moved to the Village Green in 1964 and restored to it original condition. Today, the Old Schoolhouse displays numerous authentic artifacts such as maps, toys, books and objects related to the native Corchaug Indians for which the hamlet was named.
The schoolhouse is typical of its mid-19th century construction period; only one story high with a bank of four over-sized windows on each side wall, its form was repeated across New York State and symbolizes the importance of public education within communities large and small. Like several neighboring North Fork hamlets, Cutchogue is proud to preserve its original Old Schoolhouse.